Introduction: Move It NQ
The North Queensland Sports Foundation
The North Queensland Sports Foundation (NQSF), developed in 1983, is backed by 24 North Queensland Local Government Authorities with the central aim of promoting a healthy lifestyle in North Queensland. Through supporting grassroots sporting organisations through to our elite athletes in the region, the NQSF delivers a range of events and projects to maximise participation across the region.
With the changing sporting landscape and the gap between health and sport and recreation widening, the NQSF has been proactive in developing solutions that engage those not currently active and building pathways to the sporting communities.
Move It NQ
Move It NQ began in 2018 as a joint venture between the North Queensland Sports Foundation and the Northern Queensland PHN. Aimed at supporting healthier and active lifestyle, Move It NQ is supported by the local government authorities of North Queensland to deliver customised solutions that need the diverse needs of our regions.
Since its inception Move It NQ has developed and launched programs in Douglas, Cairns, Hinchinbrook, Charters Towers, Richmond, Whitsunday, and Mackay. With the increasing rate of obesity and associated chronic disease the need to support North Queensland communities to remain active has never been more vital.
The current COVID-19 situation has caused disruption to Move It NQ programs, with the need for social distancing to reduce the spread of the corona virus. While face to face programs have been suspended, as per the advice from state and federal governments, we are working closely with our LGA members and relevant organisations to adapt strategies that support keeping physically and mentally healthy.
There has never been a more important time to remain physical active and healthy, with evidence demonstrating that:
- Physically active lifestyles reduces the incidence of communicable and non-communicable disease, through increased immune competency through regular exercise.
- The restrictions on many sport and leisure activities, access to gym and wellness centres and group activities will reduce regular physical activity. Support and resources are needed to enable individuals to perform regular activity while reducing the spread of infection.
- Physical activity supports mental wellbeing, which is needed during this anxious time to keep our minds clear and focused.
Make sure to stay connect with our website and social media channels as we will be rolling out the following resources:
- Current up to date advice on keeping active during COVID-19
- Health and wellbeing support material
- Online physical activity sessions
- Resources from health industry leaders to keep you healthy
The information that we develop, and share will all be high-quality and developed in partnership with our partners: Northern Queensland PHN, Western Queensland PHN, North Queensland LGAs and peak health bodies.
We look forward to supporting our diverse region in remaining healthy and active, so let’s Move It North Queensland!